Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Broken ceramics

Ceramic and pottery waste


What you must do

If you reprocess broken ware from firing into usable material, either at your plant or at another site, you may need a waste management licence or exemption.

An exemption allows you to recover or dispose of waste at the place where it is produced. This is only if the waste was generated from an integral part of the production process.

You must register this exemption with your environmental regulator.

You must still ensure that your activity does not:

  • endanger human health or cause pollution to water, air or soil
  • cause a risk to plants or animals
  • cause a nuisance in terms of noise, dust, fumes, smoke or odour
  • adversely affect the countryside or places of special interest.

Waste management licence

Read more Managing Waste Materials topics on NetRegs

SEE ALSO: Duty of Care, Mineral products guidance                                           

Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms