Duty of care - Your waste responsibilities
All businesses produce waste and most types of business waste are classed as controlled waste. Controlled waste includes commercial, industrial and household waste.
You have a legal responsibility to ensure that you produce, store, transport and dispose of controlled waste without harming the environment. This is called your duty of care.
This guide explains what you must do to comply with your duty of care for waste. It describes how to segregate and store your waste safely, who can deal with your waste, and the records you must keep.
In this guide
- What is waste?
- What is the duty of care for waste?
- New waste duties for businesses in Northern Ireland
- New waste duties for businesses in Scotland
- Who can deal with your waste
- Waste Transfer Notes and how to complete them
- European Waste Catalogue (EWC) - waste codes
- Waste storage
- Controls on specific types of waste
- Landfill waste
- Carrying out waste management activities yourself
- Duty of Care for Waste Legislation