Ban on Single Use Plastics
The Single Use Plastics Regulations apply to Scotland.
From 1 June 2022 you must not manufacture or supply:
- single-use expanded polystyrene beverage cups;
- single-use expanded polystyrene beverage containers;
- single-use expanded polystyrene food containers;
- single-use plastic cutlery;
- single-use plastic plates; and
- single-use plastic beverage stirrers.
It is also an offence to supply:
- single-use plastic balloon sticks. (There are exemptions if the balloon stick is supplied for attaching to balloons for industrial or other professional uses and applications, and are only distributed for business purposes.)
- single-use plastic straws, with exemptions for:
- medical devices, or medical purposes, such as medical diagnosis, research or treatment
- retail pharmacies, subject to a ban on advertising and public display (not including online display)
- catering establishments, as long as the straws are not advertised or on display to the public
- care homes, schools, childcare premises, and prisons
- personal care or personal support services
- plastic straws used as use as packaging.
Zero Waste Scotland: Single Use Plastics Ban
Zero Waste Scotland: Single Use Plastics FAQs
The Environmental Protection (Single use Plastic Products) (Scotland) Regulations 2021