Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Transporting animal by-products

What you must do

Animal by-products must be collected and transported in leak-proof, closed containers or sealed new packaging.

You must keep each category of by-product separate and clearly labelled to avoid contamination. See the page in this guideline: Animal by-product categories

Who can transport animal by-products

You must ensure that anyone removing your waste is authorised to do so.

In Northern Ireland

On 8 April 2011 new regulations introduced a two-tier registration system for waste carriers. If your carrier only transports animal by-products they should now be registered as a lower tier waste carrier. If the carrier transports other types of waste, as well as animal by-products, they must be registered as an upper tier waste carrier with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA). You should ask for proof - such as a certificate or letter of registration - that an individual or business is authorised to handle or transport your waste.

NIEA: Registered waste carriers database

In Scotland

You should ask for proof that an individual or business is authorised to handle or transport your waste.

This proof may be a certificate of registration or a letter confirming registration as a professional carrier or broker.

SEPA: Who is registered?

Animal by-product transportation documents

All movements of animal by-products, except manure, must be accompanied by a commercial document. This is different from a waste transfer note or hazardous waste consignment note.

The commercial document should include:

  • a record of the origin and quantity of the material
  • a description of the material, including the animal by-product category
  • the date of transport
  • the name and address of the carrier and receiver
  • if the animal by-product is to be used for composting or pet food
  • any approval numbers showing that the animal by-product has been treated and is therefore safe to be used.

If you export animal by-products or send them to be processed into pet food, you may also need a health certificate from your local Divisional Veterinary Office in Northern Ireland or your local Animal Health office in Scotland.

All original documents should accompany the animal by-products during transit. The receiver of the animal by-products must keep the original documents. The waste producer and the waste carrier must keep copies. You must keep all records for at least two years.

DAERA: Animal by-products guidance (Northern Ireland)

Animal and Plant Health Agency: Transport documents and records (Scotland)

Loading and unloading animal by-products

Some loading and unloading should only be done inside a building. This includes loading and unloading slaughter and butchery waste, and tipping animal by-products onto the floor or into a hopper.

If loading and unloading inside is not possible, you may be able to 'dock' your vehicle with the building and transfer animal by-products under cover directly to or from the building. This is acceptable when loading intact animal carcases.

You may get permission to unload certain animal by-products in outside yards in very limited and tightly controlled circumstances.

DAERA: Transport, handling and storage of animal by-products (Northern Ireland)

Animal Health: Loading and unloading animal by-products (Scotland)

Further information

NIEA: Registered waste carriers database

SEPA: Who is registered?

DAERA: List of Approved Premises and Operators

GOV.UK: Local Animal & Plant Health Agency in Scotland

In this Guideline

What are animal by-products?

Categories of animal by-products

Disposing of animal by-products

Animal carcass disposal

Disposing of food waste and catering waste

Transporting animal by-products

Handling and storage of animal by-products

Animal by-products and food waste environmental legislation

Environmental News Blog

  • My Year at NetRegs, A reflection on my time as an intern with the NetRegs team at SEPA. An overview of all the activities and projects I had the opportunity to participate in during my Bright Green Environmental Placement.

  • A day with Hydrology, SEPA's hydrometry unit is responsible for around 400 gauging stations and 350 rainfall monitoring sites. River gauging stations are important as they allow river levels to be monitored so flood events can be predicted and flood warnings sent out.

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms