What you must do

Check if you need a permit, licence or registered exemption

If you burn waste or sewage sludge as a fuel or for disposal in a technical unit or mobile plant you must have a pollution prevention and control (PPC) permit, waste management licence or registered exemption.

You must comply with the conditions in your permit or you can be fined or sent to prison.

Permits and licences: an overview

There are special requirements for disposing of certain waste, such as animal by-products, animal carcasses and food waste.

Animal by-products and food waste

The Waste Incineration Directive (WID) applies to most waste incineration and co-incineration plants.

If the WID applies to your facility, your PPC permit will have conditions that implement the strict rules set by the WID, including:

  • process requirements, eg for delivery and receiving waste
  • operating conditions, eg residues (burn out), combustion requirements (time and temperature) and energy recovery
  • air emission limits
  • water emission limits
  • monitoring requirements.

Further information on waste incineration

Return to the menu of the Waste treatment processes environmental topic