Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Permits and licences - An overview

Business activities that may cause pollution or that pose another risk to the environment are regulated.

You must ensure that you have appropriate authorisation for the activities your business carries out. Most authorisations are issued:

  • In Northern Ireland by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA), your district council or water and sewerage company.
  • In Scotland by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) or your water and sewerage company.

This guide outlines the main environmental authorisations, including pollution prevention and control permits, waste management licences, hazardous waste notification, trade effluent consents and the licences or authorisations you require for discharges to or abstractions from the water environment.

Additional resources


Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms