Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Animal by-products from laboratories

Waste from animals used in Laboratories

Laboratories, particularly in the biological sciences, are often involved in activities which result in the use and production of

materials which are classed as animal by-products.

This includes entire animal bodies, parts of animals, blood, fluids or any products of animal origin that are not intended for human consumption.

The Animal By-Products Regulations are aimed at protecting human and animal health and the environment.

They contain rules for the collection, storage, handling, processing, use and disposal of animal by-products. They also control the marketing, export and transit of animal by-products and products derived from them.

What you must do

If you produce, or intend to use animal by-products for research, diagnostic or educational purposes you must have an authorisation from:

  • Animal & Plant Health Agency Health (formerly Animal Health) in Scotland
  • your Divisional Veterinary Office in Northern Ireland.

Scotland: Animal & Plant Health Agency: field services offices in Scotland

Northern Ireland: DAERA: List of Approved Premises and Operators

You must store and dispose of all waste material of animal origin from laboratories according to the Animal By-Products Regulations. Waste material from educational establishments is subject to the same regulations that apply to businesses.

Animal by-products produced in animal experiments are classed as very high risk Category 1 material and you must dispose of them accordingly. For more detailed information see the NetRegs guidance.

Read more Managing Waste Materials topics on NetRegs

SEE ALSO: Animal by-products and food waste, Life sciences guidance

Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms