If you hire, keep or transport waste skips, you must comply with environmental legislation.

This guidance does not cover other legal requirements that might apply to your skip hire business, such as local authority permission for skip use, planning permission, vehicle licensing or health and safety requirements.

What you must do

Check if you need to register as a waste carrier or broker

If you transport skips that contain waste, you must register as a waste carrier and keep waste transfer notes or consignment notes for hazardous waste.

Check if you need a permit, licence or registered exemption

If you keep skips that contain waste at your site, you are operating a waste transfer station and must have a waste management licence or registered exemption.

If you receive or treat waste at your site, you should see our guidance on receiving, storing and treating waste.

Receiving waste or sewage

Receiving hazardous/special waste

Storing waste or sewage

Treating WEEE

Treating hazardous/special waste

Comply with your waste duty of care

You must also comply with your waste duty of care requirements. For further information, see our guidance on your waste responsibilities.

Return to the menu of the More materials and equipment topics environmental topic