Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Stillwater fisheries

Stillwater or fresh water fisheries

These guidelines are for all operators of private fisheries in stillwaters, including those linked to other water bodies.

What you must do

If your fishery is connected to surface waters or groundwater, you will need a discharge consent or authorisation from your environmental regulator before you:

  • use chemicals, for example disinfectants or disease treatments
  • drain your fishery for maintenance, desilting or any other reason resulting in a discharge to surface water or groundwater.

Contact your environmental regulator

Preventing water pollution

Good practice

Be careful not to spill any oil or fuel used on boats or for any other purpose into the water or on the land.

Store all chemicals in an area where spills can be contained. This should be within an impermeable bund or secondary containment system (SCS). The SCS should contain at least 110% of the volume of the largest tank or 25% of the total volume likely to be stored, whichever is greater.

Supervise deliveries of materials and fuels to your site. Clearly label tanks with their contents and storage capacity and provide a method for measuring the amount in the tank. This will reduce the risk of spills from overfilling.

The Institute of Fisheries Management (IFM) runs training courses on freshwater fisheries management and publishes good practice guidance.

Institute of Fisheries Management

Read about More ways to prevent water pollution on NetRegs

Environmental News Blog

  • My Year at NetRegs, A reflection on my time as an intern with the NetRegs team at SEPA. An overview of all the activities and projects I had the opportunity to participate in during my Bright Green Environmental Placement.

  • A day with Hydrology, SEPA's hydrometry unit is responsible for around 400 gauging stations and 350 rainfall monitoring sites. River gauging stations are important as they allow river levels to be monitored so flood events can be predicted and flood warnings sent out.

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms