Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Producers of electrical and electronic equipment – What you must do

Producers of electrical and electronic equipment – What you must do

If you manufacture, rebrand or import electrical and electronic equipment (EEE), you are a producer of EEE and you must:

  • join an approved producer compliance scheme
  • pay for the collection, treatment, recovery and environmentally sound disposal of your market share of household waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)
  • label all new electrical and electronic products with a crossed-out wheeled bin symbol and producer identification mark
  • make available information to WEEE treatment and reprocessing facilities about new products put on the UK market to help with effective treatment, reuse and recycling
  • give your producer registration number to distributors you supply equipment to
  • keep records for at least four years, including the amounts of EEE placed on the UK market, and sales to end users in other European Union member states

You can get advice on how to meet your legal requirements by contacting:

  • The Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) in Northern Ireland
  • The Scottish Environment Protection Agency in Scotland.

These organisations regulate producers' obligations under the WEEE Regulations.

Contact your environmental regulator

Join a producer compliance scheme

You must join an approved producer compliance scheme - there are around 40 to choose from. Alternatively, you could establish your own scheme for your business or for a group of businesses. All schemes must be approved by either the Environment Agency, NIEA or Scottish Environment Protection Agency.

The NIEA and SEPA provide lists of producer compliance schemes.

NIEA: Producer compliance schemes

SEPA: Producer compliance schemes

See the page in this guideline: Operating a WEEE producer compliance scheme.

Design your products for recycling

You must make sure that your products comply with limits on the use of certain hazardous substances.

Restriction on the use of certain hazardous substances in Electrical and electronic equipment (ROHS)

Your products may also have to meet energy labelling and ecodesign requirements.

Energy labelling and ecodesign of energy-related products

You should design your products so that they can be easily repaired, recycled and dismantled. Improving the design, to make your products easier to recycle, can make it easier to meet your WEEE obligations, especially for non-household equipment.

If you are affected by WEEE regulations you may also have obligations under the Batteries Directive.

Further information

GOV.UK: Electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) producer responsibilities

In this guideline

Businesses affected by the WEEE Regulations

Equipment covered by the WEEE Regulations

Producers of electrical and electronic equipment – What you must do

Distributors of electrical and electronic equipment – What you must do

Users of electrical and electronic equipment – What you must do

Repairing, refurbishing and storing WEEE

Treating and recycling WEEE

Exporting WEEE

Operating a WEEE producer compliance scheme

Dealing with hazardous WEEE

WEEE environmental legislation

Environmental News Blog

  • My Year at NetRegs, A reflection on my time as an intern with the NetRegs team at SEPA. An overview of all the activities and projects I had the opportunity to participate in during my Bright Green Environmental Placement.

  • A day with Hydrology, SEPA's hydrometry unit is responsible for around 400 gauging stations and 350 rainfall monitoring sites. River gauging stations are important as they allow river levels to be monitored so flood events can be predicted and flood warnings sent out.

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms