Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Recovering chemical substances from waste

Recovering chemical substances from wasteRecovering chemical substances from waste

What you must do

Waste recovery and the REACH Regulations

If your waste recovery activities involve the manufacture, import or use any chemical substances, preparations or articles you must comply with the REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals) Regulation.

REACH aims to protect human health and the environment through the registration, evaluation, authorisation and restriction of chemical substances.

If you make a product from waste by recovering a chemical substance in quantities of one tonne per year or more, the REACH Regulations may apply to you.

If your business deals with waste without producing any chemical substances from it, then the REACH regulations are unlikely to apply to you.

The UK REACH Competent Authority is hosted by the Health and safety Executive (HSE).

UK REACH Competent Authority

REACH may apply to chemical substances that you recover as they will no longer be classed as waste. If a substance ceases to be a waste and REACH applies you must register or pre-register the substance.


If you recover chemical substances from waste in quantities of one tonne or more per calendar year and the substance is not exempt, you must register it with the ECHA.

ECHA: Guidance on registration

If your recycled substance is not a waste and you are unsure if it is covered by REACH, contact the UK REACH competent authority helpdesk.


HSE: Contact us

If you are not sure whether your substance is a waste contact your environmental regulator.

Contact your environmental regulator

SEPA: Is it waste? (Adobe PDF - 51KB)


Pre-registration has now closed. You can only make a late pre-registration if you are recovering one tonne or more of a phase-in substance in a calendar year for the first time. You must be able to provide evidence of this.

If this applies to you, you must pre-register:

  • no more than six months after you begin to recover the substance and
  • at least one year before the ECHA registration deadline for the quantity and type of your chemical.

If you pre-registered any phase-in substances before 1 December 2008 you will still have to complete a full registration with the ECHA. The deadline for your registration will depend on the quantities of chemicals you handle and in some cases whether they have certain hazardous properties. You will have submitted a proposed registration deadline as a part of your pre-registration.

The ECHA has produced a questions and answers document covering pre-registration.

ECHA: REACH pre-registration – Questions and answers (Adobe PDF - 1.45MB)

Substance Information Exchange Fora (SIEFs)

Under REACH, Substance Information Exchange Fora (SIEFs) are created so businesses that have pre-registered the same chemical can share information. You will be able to use SIEFs to make joint registrations. You are automatically added to a SIEF when you pre-register.

ECHA: Information on chemicals

Further information

UK Reach competent authority: REACH & substances recovered from waste (Adobe PDF - 100KB)

REACH regulations

For further information about REACH visit the UK REACH competent authority's website, or contact them by email:


UK REACH Competent Authority

Read about More waste treatment processes on NetRegs

Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms