Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Chipping wood & other plant material

Wood chipperChipping wood and other plant materials

What you must do

Carrying out waste disposal activities on your site may require a:

  • registered exemption
  • waste management licence or
  • pollution prevention and control (PPC) permit

You may qualify for an exemption to chip, shred, cut or pulverise waste plant material if:

  • the material is to be recovered or reused
  • the quantity does not exceed 1,000 tonnes over any period of seven days.

The exemption you may require is a paragraph 21 exemption.

You must register this exemption with your environmental regulator.

You must still ensure that your activity does not:

  • endanger human health or cause pollution to water, air or soil
  • constitute a risk to plants or animals
  • cause a nuisance in terms of noise, dust, fumes, smoke and odour
  • adversely affect the countryside or places of special interest.

DAERA: Paragraph 21 - Chipping, shredding, cutting or pulverising plant matter

SEPA: Waste management licensing exemptions

Waste management licences

If you are shredding waste plant material in several locations on an extended site, for example a motorway embankment, you can register a single exemption for the work.

Read about More waste treatment processes on NetRegs

Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms