Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

International waste shipment controls


International waste shipment controls

International waste shipment (IWS) controls cover the movement of all waste between countries. This includes movements of waste between the UK and:

  • the Republic of Ireland
  • the Channel Islands
  • the Isle of Man
  • other UK Overseas Territories.

Waste shipment controls cover the movement of waste from where it is produced to where it is recovered or disposed of.

The export of waste from the UK for disposal overseas is banned except in a few limited circumstances.

What you must do to comply with waste shipment controls depends on:

  • the waste classification, eg if the waste is green list or notification controlled
  • the country it is sent to or from
  • whether the waste will be disposed of or recovered.

Waste classification

Waste shipment controls depend on the classification of the waste you are importing or exporting.

The two main classes of waste under waste shipment controls are:

  • green list waste which can be imported without prior authorisation from the regulatory authority
  • notifiable waste which needs authorisation from the regulatory authority before it can be imported or exported, ie it is subject to notification controls.

Green list waste

Green list waste is usually considered a low risk to the environment. Green list waste types are listed in annexes to the Waste Shipment Regulation. For details of green listed waste, you should:

  • in Northern Ireland, contact the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) Transfrontier Shipment of Waste Helpline on Tel 028 9056 9742.
  • in Scotland, email the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) waste shipments unit at transfrontier@sepa.org.uk.

Notifiable waste

Notifiable waste is considered hazardous or harmful to the environment. Notifiable waste types are listed in annexes to the European Shipments of Waste Regulation. How hazardous waste is defined for waste shipment controls may be different from the definition in the Hazardous or Special Waste Regulations.

Waste considered hazardous is strictly controlled. To export or import this waste, you need the consent of the competent authorities of the countries involved. This consent is called a notification control.

If you are considering importing or exporting notifiable waste, you must contact the NIEA or SEPA before moving it internationally. If you ship waste without the correct permissions, you are committing a criminal offence.

The Environment Agency has developed a tool to help you identify the appropriate classification and controls on waste types intended for export.

Environment Agency: Waste exports controls tool

Further information

NIEA: Information on transfrontier waste shipments

SEPA: Information on transfrontier waste shipments

EUROPA: Waste shipments

EUROPA: Frequently asked questions on waste shipments

EUROPA: List of competent authorities for waste shipments

In this guideline

International waste shipment controls

Importing or exporting green list waste

Importing or exporting waste under notification controls

Waste import and export environmental legislation

Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms