Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland



This guidance is relevant if your machinery or electrical and electronic equipment (EEE) business manufactures, stores or disposes of explosives.

What you must do

Check if you need a permit, licence or exemption

If you produce explosives you must have a pollution prevention and control (PPC) permit under part A.

If you have a permit, licence or exemption you must comply with its conditions. If you do not comply with conditions you can be fined or even sent to prison.

Check if COMAH applies to your business

If you manufacture or store explosives you should check if your site is regulated by the Control of Major Accident Hazards (COMAH) Regulations.

Find out if COMAH applies to your business in our COMAH guidance

Comply with health and safety requirements

If you manufacture or store explosives you must comply with health and safety licensing and registration requirements.

If you dispose of explosive waste, you must comply with special health and safety requirements. You cannot send explosives to landfill or dump them at sea.

For further information, contact the HSE in Scotland or the Health and Safety Executive Northern Ireland.

HSE: Explosives

HSE: Explosives disposal

HSE Northern Ireland: Code of practice and guidance document on manufacture and storage of explosives in Northern Ireland (Adobe PDF - 1.69MB)

Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms