Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Energy labelling requirements

Requirements for labelling energy efficiency rating

If you manufacture or sell certain household electrical appliances you must label your products clearly with their energy efficiency rating so that consumers can make better informed decisions. See the page in this guideline: Energy labelling: which products does it apply to?

If you hire out electrical equipment, run hire purchase schemes or sell products using methods such as mail order, catalogue or the internet, you must provide your customers with the equipment's energy efficiency rating.

You do not need to provide an energy efficiency rating for second-hand goods.

You may not need to label your products if they are exempt from the regulations. Exemptions are based on the size and power rating of the equipment. You can find details of these exemptions in the relevant energy information regulations. See the page in this guideline on energy labelling legislation

What energy information must you provide?

If you supply household electrical appliances, you must provide information about the energy consumption of the appliance in the relevant language on request. You must make this information available for at least five years after production of the appliance has stopped.

If you sell household electrical appliances you must display the product's energy consumption clearly, such as how much electricity the product uses in kilowatt hours. This information is for customers who visit your retail outlet or who could buy goods from you through mail order, the internet or other means.

Who enforces energy labelling?

The National Measurement Office has been appointed by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) as the market surveillance authority for the UK.

Read the detailed guidance from the National Measurement Office (NMO) on the GOV.UK website.

GOV.UK: Placing energy related products on the market

Further information

GOV.UK: Make an environmental claim for your product, service or organisation

GOV.UK: The energy labelling of products

GOV.UK: Energy labelling of household products (PDF, 516K)

In this Guideline

Energy labelling: Which products does it apply to?

Energy labelling requirements

Ecodesign: What products does it apply to?

Ecodesign requirements

Energy labelling legislation

Ecodesign of energy-related products legislation

Environmental News Blog

  • My Year at NetRegs, A reflection on my time as an intern with the NetRegs team at SEPA. An overview of all the activities and projects I had the opportunity to participate in during my Bright Green Environmental Placement.

  • A day with Hydrology, SEPA's hydrometry unit is responsible for around 400 gauging stations and 350 rainfall monitoring sites. River gauging stations are important as they allow river levels to be monitored so flood events can be predicted and flood warnings sent out.

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms