Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Energy labelling: Which products does it apply to?

Which products need energy efficiency labelling

If you manufacture or sell certain household electrical equipment you must label it with its energy efficiency rating. Known as the European Energy Label (EEL), household electrical products that you must label include:

  • Air conditioing equipment
  • Dishwashers
  • Domestic ovens and range hoods 
  • Electric ovens*
  • Lamps (directional, household and fluorescent)
  • Refrigeration appliances
  • Space heaters 
  • Televisions
  • Tumble driers
  • Vacuum cleaners
  • Washer/driers
  • Washing machines
  • Water heaters
  • Water and space heaters  - solar devices
  • Temperature controls for space heaters 

EEL labels must show how energy efficient the appliance is and how much electricity the product uses in kilowatt hours. Ratings run from A-G, with A+++ best (a green label) and G worst (a red label). Categories A+, A++ and A+++ distinguish particularly energy-saving products.

While EEL labelling is only compulsory for some domestic products at the moment, the scheme is set to grow - adding boilers and vacuum cleaners, for example - so you should consider fulfilling the scheme's requirements from the start of product design.

*You do not need to label certain ovens including:

  • portable ovens weighing under 18 kilograms, provided they are not designed for built-in installations
  • microwave ovens and microwave combination ovens
  • ovens with a cavity width and depth of less than 250 millimetres, or that are less than 120 millimetres high
  • ovens without adjustable temperature control.

Further information

Read the detailed guidance from the National Measurement Office (NMO) on the GOV.UK website.

GOV.UK: Make an environmental claim for your product, service or organisation

GOV.UK: Placing energy related products on the market

GOV.UK: The energy labelling of products

GOV.UK: Saving energy through better products and appliances

EUROPA: Ecodesign and Energy labelling 

In this Guideline

Energy labelling: Which products does it apply to?

Energy labelling requirements

Ecodesign: What products does it apply to?

Ecodesign requirements

Energy labelling legislation

Ecodesign of energy-related products legislation

Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms