Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Comply with emissions trading requirements

Emissions trading and energy efficiency

If your business is energy-intensive or uses energy supplied on the half hourly market you may need to comply with mandatory emissions trading schemes.

European Union emissions trading system (EU ETS)

Energy-intensive businesses that release significant emissions into the atmosphere may need to obtain a greenhouse gas emissions permit under the EU ETS.

You may need a permit, for example, if your business is in the:

  • energy sector
  • production and processing of ferrous (iron-based) metals sector
  • mineral sector - eg cement manufacture
  • pulp and paper industry.

Under the system, businesses that emit fewer emissions than their permit allows can sell their excess to firms producing excessive emissions.

If you are unsure whether your business is covered by the EU ETS, you should contact the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) or Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA).

CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme

The CRC energy efficiency scheme will be closing down at the end of the current cycle. If you were a participant in the 2010 -2014 or the 2014-2019 phases then you will have certain responsibilities until the scheme closes completely.

Read about the CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme:

CRC Energy efficiency Scheme

Further information

NIEA: CRC Guidance

Scottish Government: CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme

Return to Cutting Carbon Emissions home page

Environmental News Blog

  • A day with Hydrology, SEPA's hydrometry unit is responsible for around 400 gauging stations and 350 rainfall monitoring sites. River gauging stations are important as they allow river levels to be monitored so flood events can be predicted and flood warnings sent out.

  • Brewing and Distilling Technical Drop-in Day: Waste, Water, Energy, Brewing and Distilling is booming due to high demand for quality Scottish beers and spirits. All this growth is also leading to a boom in food waste, energy and water use.

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms