Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Fire protection equipment

ODS in fire protection equipment

Ozone-depleting substances (ODS) were once used widely in firefighting equipment. Halons were used to fill equipment like hand-held fire extinguishers and built-in total flooding systems.

The use of halons in firefighting equipment is now banned, except for military and aviation uses.

What you must do

ODS obligations

If you discover any old firefighting equipment filled with halons or other ODS you must decommission it and dispose of the equipment safely as hazardous waste. Fire extinguishers should be labelled on the outside with what they are filled with.

To decommission fire protection systems and fire extinguishers, you must use a technician who holds the following qualification:

 Fire Industry Competence Certificate Course, Class 1.

You must dispose of the equipment as hazardous/special waste at a licensed facility.

Hazardous/special waste

Find your nearest waste site

Further information

Fire safety advice centre: Alternatives to Halons

In this guideline

What are ozone-depleting substances?

Stationary refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pumps: ODS controls

Fire protection equipment

Solvent cleaning

Specialist uses of ODS

How ODS regulations are enforced

ODS Legislation

Environmental News Blog

  • My Year at NetRegs, A reflection on my time as an intern with the NetRegs team at SEPA. An overview of all the activities and projects I had the opportunity to participate in during my Bright Green Environmental Placement.

  • A day with Hydrology, SEPA's hydrometry unit is responsible for around 400 gauging stations and 350 rainfall monitoring sites. River gauging stations are important as they allow river levels to be monitored so flood events can be predicted and flood warnings sent out.

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms