Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Inland fisheries licensing

What you must do

Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland if you fish commercially in freshwater loughs and rivers, other than in the Foyle and Carlingford catchments, you must have:

  • the permission of the statutory owners of fishing rights
  • a fishing licence from the Department of Arts, Culture and Leisure (DACL)

Department of Arts, Culture and Leisure: Angling pages

If you fish commercially in the cross-border catchments in the Londonderry and Newry area you should contact the Loughs Agency for permission.

Loughs Agency: Angling information


In Scotland, the rights to fish for salmon are all privately owned. The rights to fish for freshwater fish are also privately owned, except in certain circumstances, such as where a river is both tidal and navigable. Even then, anglers must have a right of access to the banks or they must fish from a boat. In some areas, such as freshwater lochs in Orkney, no one person holds the rights to fish and there is a general right to fish for trout and other species such as eels.

If you fish for salmon and sea trout you must have the legal right, or written permission from a person having such a right, otherwise you may be committing a criminal offence.

If you fish for all other freshwater fish you must have the right or written permission, otherwise you may be committing a civil offence or in some cases a criminal offence.

Given the varied situation with respect to ownership and permissions, you should seek local advice before fishing on inland waters in Scotland.

The District Salmon Fisheries Boards (DSFB) were established to protect, preserve and develop salmon fisheries in Scotland. DSFB do not issue licences but are a useful contact for commercial freshwater salmon and trout fishermen and trout water owners.

The DSFB can advise on legal angling and netting seasons and other restrictions imposed on the catching and trading of salmon and trout in Scotland.

Association of Salmon Fishery Boards

Marine Scotland: Salmon and recreational fisheries

Additional resources


Whats new on NetRegs

  • EU Exit

    EU Exit updates: Northern Ireland DAERA Brexit news, Scotland SEPA Supporting Scottish businesses with EU exit

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms