Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Supplying pesticides and biocides

Supplying pesticides and biocides

Guidance from GOV.UK

How to comply with pesticide regulations from 1 January 2021 (Great Britain only)

If you supply pesticides or biocides you must check that the pesticides or biocides you sell have been approved in the UK and that your products are labelled correctly. You may need to provide a safety data sheet (SDS) for your customers.

Apply to place pesticides and biocides on the market

Before you place a new pesticide or biocide product on the market, you must check whether it needs to be approved for advertisement, sale, supply, storage and use. If it does, you must gain approval for that product before you market it. You must apply to the relevant registration authority and supply them with all the data and information they need to evaluate your product. See the page in this guideline: Getting approval for pesticides and biocides

Once an approved product is on sale you should monitor it. If you find out about adverse effects of the pesticide or biocide on human health or the environment, you must tell the registration authority as soon as possible. You should also tell them about any unwanted effects on what is being treated.

If you place a biocidal product on the market for the first time, you must provide certain information to the National Poisons Information Service (NPIS).

NPIS: What the Biocidal Products Regulations mean

Provide information for customers

If you market or sell pesticides or biocides you must ensure that all packaging, labelling and advertising meets the requirements in the product's authorisation. In some cases, it must also meet the requirements of the Chemical Labelling and Packaging (CLP) Regulations.

HSE: CLP Regulations

If you supply pesticides or biocides you may need to use a hazard warning label or provide an SDS. This is now a requirement of the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals Regulation.

Chemical storage

If you sell, supply or store to sell plant protection products, you should follow the 'Code of Practice for Suppliers of Pesticides to Agriculture, Horticulture and Forestry' (the Yellow Code). This statutory code of practice covers storage, training requirements, transport, waste disposal and how to deal with spills.

HSE Chemicals regulation Directorate: The Yellow Code (PDF, 915K)

Ensure sales staff and storekeepers are qualified

If you sell or supply plant protection products, you need to have a certificate of competence for sales or sales storekeeping. BASIS is an organisation set up to establish and assess standards in the pesticides industry.

RBASIS(Registration) Ltd: Information about certificates of competence

The Yellow Code will also tell you who needs a certificate of competence for the job they do.

Ensure your staff keep their training up-to-date.

Check that the purchaser has an appropriate certificate of competence for pesticides

In Scotland it is a requirement for anyone selling plant protection products to make sure that the person who will be using the product has the appropriate certificate.

In Northern Ireland see section 2, Training and certification in the code of practice..

DAERA: Code of Practice for using plant protection products.

In this Guideline

What are pesticides and biocides and who uses them?

Supplying pesticides and biocides

Approved pesticide and biocide products and qualifications

Controls on applying pesticides and biocides

Applying pesticides and biocides

Good practice for using pesticides and biocides

Import, supply and sale - Getting approval for pesticides and biocides

Disposing of pesticides and biocides

Dealing with pesticide and biocide spills

Further information on pesticides and biocides

Pesticides and biocides environmental legislation

Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms