Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Non native species at fish farms

Non-native species at fish farms

What you must do

In Scotland you must obtain a permit to introduce non-native species into aquaculture. You must also obtain a permit to move locally absent species (native) within Scotland, or to Scotland from elsewhere in the UK.

Eur-lex: Alien and locally absent species

Marine Scotland: Sea fisheries

In Northern Ireland, you must hold a licence from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency if you release or allow the escape into the wild of any fish or shellfish that are not native to Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland Environment Agency

Under general licence, you may release pacific oysters into the wild, including growing them in the open on the seabed.

If you farm manila clams that are kept under netting you do not need a licence, as this does not constitute a release into the wild.

Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms