Manage purchases to reduce your environmental impacts
You will buy a variety of goods and services as an office business, from paper to computers to catering and cleaning services.
You can reduce the environmental impact of the goods and services you purchase. You could also reduce your costs by following green or sustainable procurement principles.
Consider the environmental impacts during the full life cycle of a product or service when buying, including:
- what raw materials are used to manufacture the product or provide the service
- how the product is produced and the energy used
- how the product or service will perform in use, eg will it use energy, water, produce waste
- how much it will cost to dispose of the product and the environmental impacts of disposal
- the potential for reuse or recycling the product
- the environmental performance of your suppliers.
Before buying any goods, consider first whether the product or service needs to be bought at all.
NIBUSINESSINFO: Supply chain efficiency
WRAP: Sustainable procurement e-learning modules
RES: Supply Chain Management and Sustainable Procurement
NetRegs: Buying sustainable goods
In this Guideline
Produce a policy statement
Ensure legal compliance
Implement an environmental management system (EMS)
Manage your purchases to minimise your environmental impact
Prepare for the circular economy
Communicate with your staff
Report on your environmental perfomance