Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Storing and transporting biofuel

Safe storage and transport of biofuels

If you store any kind of oil on your premises you may need to comply with regulations controlling how you store it. Storing your oil responsibly will reduce the risk of causing pollution and help you avoid prosecution or a fine.

Comply with oil storage controls

You must store all liquid wastes, for example used cooking oils, and biofuels securely:

  • in containers that are strong enough and unlikely to burst or leak
  • within a suitable secondary containment system, eg a bund or drip tray, which must be able to contain any oil or fuel that escapes.

Oil Storage

You may also need a waste management licence to store waste cooking oil. See the page in this guideline: Do you need a permit or licence to produce biofuel?

In Scotland Register an exemption to make biodiesel

You must register an exemption from waste management licensing for certain activities including to produce or store biofuel. See the page in this guideline: Do you need a permit or licence to produce biofuel?

Meet Control of Major Accident Hazards (COMAH) Regulations

If you store large quantities of dangerous substances, for example materials used to make biofuels, check whether the COMAH Regulations affect you. COMAH may also affect your site if you store fuels, including gases like biomethane, over certain thresholds.

You may need a major accident prevention policy, have to submit a safety report and prepare an on-site emergency plan.


Good practice

You should keep absorbent materials such as sand and other containment equipment suitable for the type and quantity of fuel and oil you store on your site. Keep them close to where you might need them and make sure that staff know where they are and how to use them. You can buy spill kits containing all the appropriate spill equipment for the materials you store.

Report pollution incidents as soon as they happen to the UK wide Pollution Hotline on Tel 0800 80 70 60.

Prepare a pollution incident response procedure for dealing with spills. Make sure that your staff are familiar with the procedure and know how to implement it.

GPP 21: Pollution incident response planning

If you transport dangerous goods, such as fuel, you must comply with legal requirements regulated by the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) or HSE in Scotland You must identify the hazards of the goods you intend to transport and meet further requirements for packaging, labelling and documentation.

HSENI: Carriage of dangerous goods

HSE: Carriage of dangerous goods

Further information

HSENI: Carriage of dangerous goods

HSE: Carriage of dangerous goods

GPP 2 Above ground oil storage tanks

GPP 21 Pollution incident response planning

In this Guideline

What are biofuels?

Where you can buy biofuels

Producing your own biodiesel

Producing your own bioethanol or biogas

Do you need a permit or authorisation to produce biofuel?

Storing and transporting biofuel

Biofuels for transport further information

Biofuels environmental legislation

Environmental News Blog

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms