Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Accommodation waste

Accommodation waste

This guidance is for staff who operate student halls of residence, residential schools, flats or other accommodation for those attending educational courses.

What you must do

The waste generated by accommodation that is owned or run by an educational establishment is considered to be commercial waste. If you produce commercial waste you must have a waste contract with your local council or waste contractor to ensure that your waste is legally disposed of.

Duty of care - your waste responsibilities

Most waste from accommodation is similar to domestic waste. However your waste could also contain items which are classed as hazardous/special waste. Examples of hazardous/special waste include:

  • fluorescent tubes
  • appliances such as fridges
  • some waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE), eg monitors
  • used chemicals, eg from cleaning or repairs.

You must deal with this waste as hazardous/special waste.

Hazardous / special waste

Items such as fluorescent tubes and other waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) may be covered by a take back scheme operated by your supplier. Your contract with your supplier should contain details of these schemes.

Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)

Businesses in Scotland are required to segregate key recyclable materials for collection. You should speak to your waste collector to make sure your waste is being recycled.

Good practice

Find out if waste contractors in your area provide collections for separated wastes. Many contractors will collect separate materials including:

  • paper
  • steel and aluminium cans
  • plastic drinks bottles
  • packaging glass
  • cardboard
  • textiles.

Contractors often charge less for collecting separated materials than they do for collecting mixed waste.

Provide recycling facilities which make separation of waste easy. It should be as easy to put materials in separate recycling containers as it is to place them in a mixed waste bin.

Make sure that there is clear and accurate guidance available on how to use your recycling systems and never assume that it is obvious to the user.

Check that your waste is being properly separated. Contamination of separated materials can result in a whole load being consigned to landfill.

SEE ALSO: Reduce, reuse and recycle your business waste, Education sector guidance, Hospitality, leisure and tourism guidance

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms