Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Does your food and drink business require a PPC permit?

Does your food and drink business require a PPC permit?

You may require a pollution prevention and control (PPC) permit from your environmental regulator or local council. For example, you will need a permit if your business has a production capacity above a certain level or if you use certain hazardous substances.

If your business is an installation or mobile plant you will need a pollution prevention and control (PPC) permit from your environmental regulator.

An installation is a stationary technical unit, such as a self-contained building, permanent structure or fixed plant, used for listed activities.

A mobile plant is plant that can be moved and is used for listed activities.

Listed activities

These are industrial, waste or intensive farming activities that have an impact on the environment and are listed in the PPC regulations. They are split into categories:

  • Part A, B and C in Northern Ireland
  • Part A and B in Scotland

Listed activities that might be carried out by food and drink businesses include:


Permit Categories

Listed activity

Northern Ireland


Slaughtering animals in slaughter houses, other than in mobile plant, with a carcass production capacity greater than 50 tonnes per day.

Part A

Part A

Treating and processing milk, where the average quantity of milk received is greater than 200 tonnes per day

Part A

Part A

animal raw materials (other than milk) at a plant with a finished product production capacity greater than 75 tonnes per day

Part A

Part A

vegetable raw materials at a plant with an average finished product production capacity greater than 300 tonnes per day or 600 tons per day for seasonal production that is for no more than 90 consecutive days per year.

Part A

Part A

Combined animal and vegetable materials (eg soup production), examples of which are in the table below

Part A

Part A

Processing, storage or drying by heat of any part of a dead animal or of vegetable matter, unless it is an exempt activity, which may result in the release into the air oxides of sulphur, nitrogen or carbon as well as other materials, or give rise to an offensive smell noticeable outside the premises in which the activity is carried on

Part C

Part B

Unless falling within Part A of this section, treating feathers by hydrolysis where hydrogen sulphide or other sulphur containing compounds may be released into the air

Part B

Part B


Combined animal and vegetable quantities for Part A permits

% of animal raw material by weight

Number of tons per day of total production

More than or equal to 10%












Formula for calculation 300 – (22.5 x A) where A is % animal raw materials by weight


What you must do

If your installation or mobile plant carries out listed activities you will need a permit from your environmental regulator.

Permits and regulators for listed activities

Activity category

Northern Ireland


Part A

PPC permit regulated by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA)

PPC permit regulated by SEPA

Part B

PPC permit regulated the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA)

PPC permit regulated by SEPA

Part C

PPC permit regulated by local council



Contact your environmental regulator

You should contact your environmental regulator or local council for further information about listed activities. NetRegs does not provide detailed guidance on Part A activities.

If you are unsure whether you are affected by PPC, contact your environmental regulator or local council.

Contact your environmental regulator

Contact your local council

How to apply for a permit

NIEA: Apply online

SEPA: Application forms

Whats new on NetRegs

  • EU Exit

    EU Exit updates: Northern Ireland DAERA Brexit news, Scotland SEPA Supporting Scottish businesses with EU exit

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms