Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Selling electrical and electronic goods

Selling electrical goods

This guidance is relevant if you sell electrical and electronic equipment (EEE). Examples of EEE include:

  • household appliances, eg fridges, kettles, washing machines
  • IT equipment, eg laptops, computer monitors
  • telephones and mobile phones
  • TV sets, radios, video or DVD players
  • electrical tools, eg drills, sanders, saws
  • gardening tools, eg hedge trimmers, lawn mowers
  • toys, eg video game consoles, electronic cars, train sets
  • medical equipment, eg cardiology machines
  • smoke detectors
  • dispensing machines, eg food and drink vending machines.

If you need to dispose of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) that you produce in your business, see our WEEE guidance.

What you must do

Selling electrical and electronic equipment

If you sell EEE to end users, you must comply with the WEEE Regulations.

You must:

  • check that your suppliers are registered with your environmental regulator
  • provide information for your customers
  • have a take-back system for customers to dispose of their WEEE free of charge.

Rebranding or importing electrical and electronic equipment

If you rebrand or import EEE, you are considered a producer under the WEEE Regulations. This means you have a responsibility for the EEE you place on the market.

You must:

  • join a producer compliance scheme (PCS), who will register you with your environmental regulator as a producer of EEE
  • ensure that the EEE you place on the market is disposed of in an environmentally sound way
  • provide information to your PCS about the EEE you produce.

For more information about your obligations, see our guidance for producers of electrical and electronic equipment.

Further information on selling EEE

Waste electrical and electronic equipment


SEE ALSO: Retail and Wholesale sector guidance

Whats new on NetRegs

  • EU Exit

    EU Exit updates: Northern Ireland DAERA Brexit news, Scotland SEPA Supporting Scottish businesses with EU exit

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms