Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Disposal top a public sewer

Disposal top a public sewer

What you must do

You must get a trade effluent consent or enter into a trade effluent agreement with your water and sewerage company before you discharge any trade effluent to the public sewer.

This is important even if you only discharge a small amount of liquid waste, as it could cause serious damage to the sewage system and create a risk of danger to public health.

A trade effluent consent allows you to discharge liquid waste to the public sewer. This means that the contents of your trade effluent can be safely treated by the waste water treatment plant.

A trade effluent agreement is needed if your discharges contain substances that require work to be carried out by your water and sewerage company.

Apply to your sewerage provider for a trade effluent consent

You will need to apply to your water and sewerage company if you want to discharge trade effluent into the public sewer, or to a private sewer that connects to a public sewer

Water UK: Contact your water company

Scotland on Tap: Water and sewerage providers in Scotland

You may also need authorisation from the NIEA in Northern Ireland or SEPA in Scotland to discharge some trade effluents to sewer. These include effluents from installations that have a pollution prevention and control (PPC) permit. You must comply with any requirements on your permit for discharging effluents

Contact your environmental regulator

Back to Trade effluent home page

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms