Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Crushing or grinding waste tiles or other ceramics

Crushing or grinding waste tiles or other ceramicsCrushing or grinding waste tiles or other ceramics

What you must do

If you are crushing or grinding glazed ceramics with machinery designed for the purpose, then you may need:

  • in Northern Ireland, a waste management licence, registered exemption or part C pollution prevention and control (PPC) permit
  • in Scotland, a waste management licence, registered exemption or part B PPC permit.

You may also need a permit, licence or exemption if you store waste tiles prior to crushing or grinding on site.

The exemption for crushing and grinding would be a paragraph 24 exemption.

If you have an exemption, you must comply with the exemption conditions.

You will need to register this exemption with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) in Northern Ireland or SEPA in Scotland.

You must still ensure that your activity does not:

  • endanger human health or cause pollution to water, air or soil
  • cause a risk to plants or animals
  • cause a nuisance in terms of noise, dust, fumes, smoke or odour
  • adversely affect the countryside or places of special interest.

Contact your local council

NIEA: Paragraph 24 - crushing and grinding of waste bricks, tiles or concrete

SEPA: Waste management licensing exemptions

Waste management licences

Environmental News Blog

  • BREXIT 'No Deal' Guidance, With BREXIT approaching and no sign of a deal there is some uncertainty surrounding what could happen to regulations and legislation.

  • Leftovers are ‘Good to Go’ this Festive Season, Our green ‘Good to Go’ scheme lets your customers know that their leftovers can be boxed up and sent home with them to be eaten later by the Christmas tree.

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms