Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Waste Carriers - operating in different parts of the UK

Waste Carriers – which countries can you carry waste in?

Registered in Northern Ireland:

If you are registered as a waste carrier with the NIEA you are able to collect and carry waste in Northern Ireland.

If you wish to carry waste in Scotland, England or Wales you must register as a waste carrier in one of these countries. Usually that will be the country where you will do most work. This will allow you to carry waste anywhere in Great Britain (Scotland, England and Wales).


Registered in Scotland:

If you are registered as a waste carrier with SEPA, you can operate anywhere in Great Britain (that is in Scotland, England and Wales). If you are registered as a waste carrier with either the Environment Agency in England or with Natural Resources Wales, you can also operate anywhere in Great Britain, including Scotland.

If you want to carry waste in Northern Ireland you will need to apply for a waste carriers licence from the NIEA as well.

Environmental News Blog

  • A day with Hydrology, SEPA's hydrometry unit is responsible for around 400 gauging stations and 350 rainfall monitoring sites. River gauging stations are important as they allow river levels to be monitored so flood events can be predicted and flood warnings sent out.

  • Brewing and Distilling Technical Drop-in Day: Waste, Water, Energy, Brewing and Distilling is booming due to high demand for quality Scottish beers and spirits. All this growth is also leading to a boom in food waste, energy and water use.

NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms