Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Importing or exporting green list waste

Importing or exporting green list waste

If you want to import waste into the UK for disposal or recovery you must check first that you are allowed by contacting the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) or the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA).

Waste considered low risk to the environment under the Shipments of Waste Regulations is called green list waste. You can usually import and export these wastes for recovery without the need for prior authorisation. For example, you do not have to notify anyone before you import or export uncontaminated waste paper for recycling. However, you should check first with the NIEA or SEPA.

Importing or exporting green list waste for disposal

Waste disposal includes:

  • incineration without energy generation
  • landfill
  • permanent storage of waste.

Most imports and exports of waste for disposal are banned. Any that are allowed, including imports from UK overseas territories, are covered by notification controls. See the page in this guideline: Importing or exporting waste under notification controls.

If you wish to import waste for disposal you should get advice:

  • in Northern Ireland, from the NIEA Transfrontier Shipment of Waste Helpline on Tel 028 9056 9742.
  • in Scotland, by emailing SEPA waste shipments unit at transfrontier@sepa.org.uk.

Importing or exporting green list waste for recovery

Waste recovery is recycling, reclaiming and regenerating substances from all or part of waste, eg:

  • converting waste into a raw material
  • using waste to generate energy.

You are usually allowed to import green list waste for recovery.

The export of green list waste is subject to further controls depending on the destination country. You should always contact the NIEA or SEPA before exporting green list waste for recovery in another country.

If you import or export green list waste for recovery, you must:

  • make sure the waste is green list waste
  • check the level of control required to export to a specific country - the export may be subject to notification controls or it may be banned
  • make sure the waste is not contaminated by other materials, preventing it from being recovered in an environmentally sound manner
  • avoid mixing waste types - use the correct European Waste Catalogue (EWC) waste codes and Basel Convention code for each consignment to identify each type of waste - mixed wastes are often not green listed.

NIEA: Guidance on the EWC and waste legislation (PDF, 2.64 MB)

SEPA: Guidance on the EWC and waste legislation (PDF, 545K)

You must also:

  • draw up a contract with the business that is sending the waste for waste disposal and recovery, this should include arrangements to return or store the waste if you are unable to complete the transfer
  • submit a copy of the completed Annex VII form to ther NIEA or SEPA

SEPA: Annex VII form (PDF, 67K)

  • make sure the waste is transported safely
  • make sure you comply with any other relevant waste regulations, eg your duty of care
  • check and keep evidence that the organisation receiving the waste can recover it in an environmentally sound way using similar methods to those used in the European Union.

If you are unsure if you are allowed to import any type of waste, or if you need permission,

Further information

NIEA: Information on transfrontier waste shipments

SEPA: Information on transfrontier waste shipments

SEPA: Green list waste

EUROPA: Waste shipments

EUROPA: Frequently asked questions on waste shipments

EUROPA: List of competent authorities for waste shipments

Return to Import and export of waste landing page

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms