Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Vehicle owners and operators - What you must do with end-of-life vehicles

Vehicle owners and operators - What you must do with end-of-life vehicles

When you send an end-of-life vehicle (ELV) for dismantling or disposal, you must ensure that the site you are sending it to has a waste management licence and is an authorised treatment facility (ATF).

NIEA: Authorised car breakers (ATFs)

SEPA: Contact SEPA

If you send your ELV to a storage site before it is taken to an ATF, you must ensure that the storage site has a waste management licence.

You can do this by contacting your local NIEA or SEPA office.

Contact your environmental regulator

Follow hazardous waste controls

ELVs are classified as hazardous waste until they have been fully treated or depolluted to remove fluids and other hazardous substances and components. Vehicles intended for treatment and destruction must be consigned as hazardous waste when they move between sites.

Hazardous/special waste

Certificates of Destruction

If you are disposing of a car or van, the ATF must issue you with a Certificate of Destruction. This demonstrates that your vehicle has been taken to an ATF and allows the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) to deregister the vehicle.

If the ATF you use tells the DVA that your vehicle has been destroyed, you do not need to send your certificate to anyone. However, you should keep it for your own records as it is proof that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.

A Certificate of Destruction must contain details of:

  • the vehicle
  • the ATF
  • lthelicence and competent issuing authority for the ATF.

GOV.UK: Scrap cars

Use a free take-back system

You can take your car or van to an ATF free of charge, providing it has the essential components of a vehicle - such as the engine, transmission, coachwork and wheels - and it is part of the appropriate manufacturer's network.

The two main free take-back service providers with a network of ATFs throughout the UK are Autogreen and Cartakeback:

Autogreen: ELV take-back system

Cartakeback: ELV take-back scheme

Scrap vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, for example a lorry or a coach, must also be depolluted at an ATF, but are not covered by the free take-back arrangements. You will not be issued with a Certificate of Destruction but you should ask for proof that you have handed your vehicle over to be destroyed.

Further information

GOV.UK: Scrap Cars

Return to End of Life vehicles landing page

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms