Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Using scrap metal when manufacturing MEEE

Using scrap metal in manufacturing processes

This guidance is relevant if your business uses scrap metal in manufacturing or assembling machinery or electrical and electronic equipment (EEE).

What you must do

Check if you need a permit, licence or exemption

If you store, treat, recover or dispose of waste scrap metal, you may need a pollution prevention and control permit, waste management licence or registered exemption. Some waste activities are exempt from licensing. For example, you may need to register a waste exemption with your environmental regulator to use contaminated scrap.

In Scotland, clean scrap metal off-cuts from metal manufacturing processes are considered to be a by-product rather than waste in some circumstances. Read the SEPA position statement to find out if waste regulation controls apply to your scrap metal off-cuts.

SEPA: Regulatory position statement on clean scrap metal offcuts (Adobe PDF - 161KB)

Check if your scrap metal is contaminated or hazardous

Examine all scrap material you buy or use to check if it is contaminated or hazardous.

Contaminants include radioactive materials, plastic, rubber and oil. For information on how to check for radioactive sources, see our guidance on radioactive substances.

Some of your scrap metal may be classed as hazardous/special waste. For example, metal in waste oil filters, spent battery casings, metal containers with hazardous contents or mercury in fluorescent tubes.

You must comply with special controls for hazardous/special waste. For more information, see our guidance on hazardous/special waste.

Comply with import and export regulation

If you transport scrap metal into or out of the UK, you must comply with regulations on the international shipment of waste. For more information see our guidance on importing and exporting waste.

Good practice

Be a good operator

Set up a scrap management system. This will help you identify and separate out contaminants such as radioactive materials, plastic, rubber and oil.

Use non-chlorinated cutting fluids for all applications, especially where you might recycle the scrap material.

Prevent land and water pollution

Store your oil-contaminated scrap on concrete pads.

Install drainage systems in your storage areas that are isolated from your general drainage and are fitted with an oil interceptor or an alternative water treatment system.

Get your oil interceptor inspected and serviced regularly.

Check if you need permission from your environmental regulator or your < water company or authority to discharge the wastewater from your oil interceptor.

GPP 3 Use and design of oil separators in surface water drainage systems (Adobe PDF – 78.6KB)

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms