Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Maintaining farm machinery

Maintaining farm machinery

What you must do

Some crop flow devices on combine harvesters use a radioactive source. If your combine harvester uses a radioactive source, you must have a certificate of registration (Northern Ireland or an authorisation (Scotland) from your environmental regulator.

Radioactive substances and wastes

Contact your environmental regulator

Wastes such as oils, antifreeze and brake fluids, which are generated during the maintenance of agricultural machinery and vehicles, may need to be dealt with as hazardous/special waste.

Hazardous / special waste

When you dispose of vehicles which are classed as waste, ensure that you meet the requirements of the end-of-life vehicle legislation.

End-of-life vehicles

In Scotland, if you carry out machinery and vehicle maintenance activities that could cause water pollution, eg they are close to a watercourse, you must comply with certain General Binding Rules (GBR10 and GBR11).

SEPA: The Water Environment (Controlled Activities) (Scotland) Regulations 20011 - A Practical Guide (Adobe PDF 540KB)

Good practice

Maintain your machinery and vehicles regularly to prevent leaks of oil and other fluids.

Never pour oils, antifreeze, brake fluids or other polluting liquids down drains. These are classified as waste and you should collect them in containers with secure lids and store them in a bunded area until they can be disposed of safely.

Your local garage may operate a collection scheme for oils, antifreeze and other fluids. If not, use the recycling directories or contact your local council to find out more about licensed collection sites in your area.

Find your nearest waste site

Contact your local council

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms