Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Chemical labelling and information

Chemical labelling and information

When you receive any chemical it may be supplied with a safety data sheet (SDS). This is sometimes also referred to as a material safety data sheet. The SDS contains information about the chemical including:

  • how to store and use it safely
  • chemicals it is incompatible with, eg that you should not store it with
  • how to dispose of it safely.

When you receive a chemical, check the SDS to find out how to store it safely. If you receive a chemical without an SDS, contact your supplier to find out whether or not they have to provide one.

Understand hazard labels

If the chemical you receive is hazardous it should have a hazard label on it. These labels contain chemical hazard warning symbols that tell you what the risks of a chemical or product are. The hazard label will tell you whether a chemical is:

  • explosive
  • an oxidising agent
  • flammable
  • toxic
  • harmful
  • an irritant
  • corrosive
  • dangerous to the environment.

You should ensure that you and your staff are familiar with the hazard labels. You can download guidance on how to find out if chemicals are dangerous from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) website.

HSE: Labelling and packaging

Mark vehicles that transport chemicals

If you carry chemicals in your vehicle, you must label your vehicle with the appropriate hazard warning label for those chemicals.

If you transport dangerous chemicals you must meet further requirements for packaging, labelling and documentation.

Northern Ireland: HSENI: Carriage of dangerous goods

Scotland: HSE: Carriage of dangerous goods

Manufacturing and supplying chemicals

If you manufacture or supply chemicals you may need to provide an SDS to your customers. This is now a requirement of the REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals) Regulation. You can download guidance on REACH and SDSs from the HSE website.

HSE: Reach and Safety Data Sheets (PDF, 158K)

If you manufacture or supply chemicals or chemical products you must also package and label them with the appropriate hazard labels.You can find hazard warning label information on the HSE website.

HSE: Labelling and Packaging

Further information

Northern Ireland: HSENI: carriage of dangerous goods

Scotland: HSE: Carriage of dangerous goods

HSE: CLP regulations

Return to Chemical Storage home page

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms