Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

What to do with extraction voids

Managing voids, such as mines and mineshafts

Extraction voids are holes you leave in the surface of the land or underground after you have removed minerals and waste rock.

The Mining Waste Directive (MWD) brings in new requirements for managing extractive waste, including managing extraction voids at mines and quarries.

This guidance applies to all mines or quarries in the UK that put extractive waste in extraction voids.

What you must do

Check if you need a permit or permission

You must check with your regulator whether you need planning permission to put your extractive waste into an extraction void.

Managing extractive waste in Northern Ireland and Scotland

Make sure you do not damage the environment or human health

If you put extractive waste into extraction voids to rehabilitate your mine or quarry or to build or maintain access for machinery, haulage ramps, bulkheads, safety barricades or berms in the void, you must make sure:

  • your extractive waste is physically stable and compacted when you put it back in the void
  • your external void walls are stable before you fill the void with extractive waste
  • you consider any impacts on groundwater flow if you use extractive waste that has a low permeability
  • you prevent soil or water pollution and prevent, minimise and monitor any leachate produced
  • you monitor your extractive waste and void to make sure it remains physically stable.

You must not put extractive waste back into a void which will be flooded, unless your regulator has given you permission to do this. 

SEE ALSO: Mining and quarrying sector guidance

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms