Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Nature conservation and public rights of way for construction sites

Nature conservation and public rights of way for construction sites

Invasive weeds on construction sites

Check your building area for evidence of Japanese Knotweed, Giant Hogweed and Himalayan Balsam. If you spread these plants, you could be committing an offence.

Japanese knotweed, giant hogweed and other invasive weeds

Removing trees

Before removing any trees, check with your local council planning department if any or them is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO).

Removing, pruning, cutting down, lopping, topping or ring barking a tree covered by a TPO will require planning consent. Failure to obtain consent for these activities is a criminal offence.

If your site is in a conservation area the trees will automatically be protected.

Contact your local council

Northern Ireland: Local Councils

Protected species

Protected species such as bats, badgers, newts and nesting birds are common on development sites. Identifying whether you have protected species on your site, deciding what to do and obtaining the correct consents for moving them is a complex process.

Nature conservation

Public rights of way and bridleways

For works that may affect footpaths, cycleways or bridleways, either temporarily or permanently, you will need consent from the local council.

Good practice

BS 42020: Biodiversity. Code of practice for planning and development

This new British Standard 42020 aims to integrate biodiversity into all stages of the planning and development process.

It is of relevance to professionals working in the fields of ecology, land use planning, land management, architecture, civil engineering, landscape architecture, forestry, arboriculture, surveying, building and construction.

BSI: Smart Guide to BS 42020

BSI: BS 42020 Biodiversity. Code of practice for planning and development.

SEE ALSO: Nature conservation Land access rights

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms