Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Coastal erosion

Coastal erosion


The Coastal Protection Act 1949 (Part 1) gives powers to Coastal Protection Authorities (Local Authorities with coastlines) to carry out works needed to protect land from erosion or encroachment by the sea, inside and outside of their area as necessary, subject to the approval of the Scottish Government. However the authorities are not obliged to protect eroding coastlines.

What You Must Do

Landowners are responsible for the management and prevention of coastal erosion. Schemes proposed by landowners require the consent of the Coast Protection Authority. Depending upon the nature and scale of the works you may also require planning permission. Road, rail and harbour authorities do not require consent; however they are required to submit a notice of proposed works to the Coast Protection Agency.

Further to these requirements, because coast protection works below Mean High Water of Spring tide (MHWS) might affect or interfere with marine transport or navigation, you will need a consent/licence from the Marine Scotland Licensing Operations Team.

If your work includes movement of beach sediment or the erection of structure below HWMOST (High Water Mark of Ordinary Spring Tides), you will need a licence from the Marine Scotland Licensing Operations Team.

Useful Information

SNH - Summary of legislation

SNH guidance on managing coastal erosion in beach/dune systems

Marine Licensing in Scotland – Scottish Government

Scottish Golf: Coastal erosion guidelines


Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland central government departments are responsible for the construction, maintenance and repair of coastal defences in their possession.

Using the ‘Bateman formula’ coastal works that are deemed necessary are carried out by the department or authority responsible for the asset at risk.

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms