Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Gathering and picking wild plants, fungi and fruits

Gathering wild plants, forest fungi and fruits

What you must do

You must not dig up wild plants. You must not even pick some species such as the Fritillary and several orchid species.

You will need permission to gather or pick any wild growing plants or fruits for commercial or private use. This includes:

  • wild plants
  • mosses
  • lichens
  • heather
  • acorns
  • nuts
  • fungi
  • resins.

To get permission:

  • on private land, you will need to contact the landowner
  • on Forest Service land in Northern Ireland, contact the Forest Service
  • on land in the public estate in Northern Ireland, contact the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) Natural Heritage Division
  • on land that is owned by the Forestry Commission, or is in the public estate in Scotland contact the Forestry Commission.

Forestry Commission

DAERA: NI Forest Service

NIEA: Natural heritage division

Special or important sites

You must take extra precautions to avoid causing damage to plants if the site is:

  • an area or site of specific scientific interest (ASSI or SSSI)
  • a regionally important geological or geomorphological site (RIGS).

If your site is designated as an ASSI, SSSI or RIGS, you must also contact your conservation regulator for permission and advice.

NIEA: Biodiversity

Scottish Natural Heritage

Good practice

When picking wild plants, you should take great care and always consider the impact on the environment. Flowers produce seeds and removing flowers will reduce the seed crop the plants require to produce a new generation.

Forestry Commission: Forest biodiversity

SEE ALSO: Nature conservation

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms