Environmental guidance for your business in Northern Ireland & Scotland

Actions to prevent air pollution

Actions to prevent air pollution

Several pieces of environmental legislation that control air pollution may apply to your business. This will depend on the type of activities your business carries out and where it is located.

  • If you use a boiler or furnace, you should check what legal requirements you need to comply with. See the page in this guideline on Boilers and furnaces: environmental authorisations
  • If you burn waste, you must have the correct permit, licence or registered waste exemption. See our guideline: Waste Incineration 
  • If you use hazardous substances such as solvents or you carry out certain industrial, intensive agricultural or waste activities that are likely to cause air pollution you may require a pollution prevention and control permit. This permit will contain conditions that control your emissions to air. See our guideline: Environmental permits and licences - an overview.
  • If you use fluorinated greenhouse gases (or still have equipment containing ozone-depleting substances) such as solvents, refrigerants and foam blowing agents you must be qualified to use them, handle them appropriately and comply with any phase-out dates that apply. See our guidelines: Ozone depleting substances and F-gases
  • Emissions from your business must not cause a nuisance to your neighbours. Your local council, the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) or Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) can also impose additional requirements that you may need to comply with. See the page in this guideline on Protecting neighbours from air pollution.
  • If you carry out activities covered by the European Union emissions trading system (EU ETS) you must hold a greenhouse gas emissions permit. The main activities include energy activities, combustion installations, iron and steel businesses, mineral oil refineries, the mineral industry, and pulp and paper businesses. See our guideline: EU Emissions Trading System
  • If your electricity supply is metered by half hourly meters you may need to participate in the CRC energy efficiency scheme. See our guideline: CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme
  • If you employ more than 250 people,or you have a turnover greater than 50 million Euros or your balance sheet is greater than 43 million Euros then you may need to participate in the Energy Saving Opportunities Scheme (ESOS)

If you are unsure if legislation applies to your business, you should contact:

  • in Northern Ireland your district council or the NIEA
  • in Scotland your local authority or SEPA.

You must also prevent air quality from damaging the health of staff and visitors.

Dark smoke restrictions

You must not cause or allow emissions of dark smoke from your site. There are some exemptions from this requirement, but only if your installation won't cause emissions that could damage health or cause a nuisance. See the page in this guideline on Dark smoke restrictions.

Further information

Environmental Protection UK: Air pollution sources

Defra: Air quality

Scottish Government: Pollutant information

Find your local council

Return to preventing air pollution home page

Whats new on NetRegs

  • Waste – Duty of Care Roles and Responsibilities

    The Northern Ireland Environment Agency has published a short guide to the duty of care responsibilities including advice and information for waste producers, carriers and those accepting, storing and treating waste.



  • EIA (Agriculture) Regulations for Northern Ireland

    Any person intending to alter the use or management of areas of uncultivated or semi-natural land must obtain prior approval from the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

    Read more on the DAERA website

  • Guidance from your environmental regulator

    Regulator logos

  • 9 NEW GPPs (Guidance for Pollution Prevention) available now

    The NetRegs team at SEPA, in partnership with The Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales and a number of industry bodies have produced 9 new GPPs to replace out of date PPGs. More are coming! Check the available topics

  • New guidance

    New guidance for Start-ups, charities and community projects


NetRegs on NetRegs on youTube

View our latest videos & subscribe to our channel.

NetRegs Update Newsletter

Free monthly email newsletter with environmental updates for Northern Ireland and Scotland

Sign up for free today!


NIEA - Apply online

SEPA - Application forms